- Modern theories of urban development History of town building
- Urban political geography
PositionProfessor, Department of Regional Policy & Political Geography
Phone: (812) 323-58-15
Education, scientific degrees and titles
- 2011, doctor of geographical sciences (Habilitation), St.Petersburg State University, thesis topic: "Transformation of Human-Geographic Space of a Metropolis in Post-Soviet Russia"
- 1989, Candidate of geographical sciences (PhD), Leningrad State University
- 1986, diploma (Bachelor's – Master’s) with distinction (Economic geography), Leningrad State University
Research interestsUrban studies, political, economic and social geography
- Aksenov K. E. Geographic Patterns of Desovietization of Toponymy in Russian Cities// Regional Research of Russia, 2021, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 220-229
- Aksenov K. E. Transformation of Urban Spatiotemporal Systems: the Influence of Retail on the Post-Socialist Large Housing Estates Areas in Leningrad–St. Petersburg in 1989–2016 // Regional Research of Russia, 2019, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 225–235.
- Axenov K., Timoshina A., Zemlyanova A. Commercial redevelopment of industrial and residential periphery of Russian metropolis: St. Petersburg, 1989–2017 // Regional Science Policy and Practice, 2020, pp. 1-18.
- Axenov K., Krupickaitė D., Morachevskaya K., Zinovyev A. Retail sprawl in post-Soviet urban residential communities: Case studies of Saint-Petersburg and Vilnius. // Moravian Geographical Reports. 2018. Vol. 26, N3. P. 210-219
- Axenov, K. Between degradation and gentrification in a post-transformational metropolis city center: the case of St. Petersburg // Eurasian Geography and Economics, Volume 55, Issue 6, 2014, 656-673
- Aksenov K. E. Trends in the Accessibility of Public Space in the Post-Soviet Metropolis: Shrinkage or Expansion? Regional Research of Russia, 2012, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 340–349.
- Axenov, K., I. Brade, and E. Bondarchuk: The Transformation of Urban Space in post-Soviet Russia. Retail Trade and Services development in St. Petersburg, Routledge Curzon Press, London, 2006
- Bassin, M. Aksenov, K. Mackinder and the Heartland Theory in Post-Soviet Geopolitical Discourse. Geopolitics, 1 (11), 2006
The Head of Current Research Fundings
- “Adaptive Governance of Urban Redevelopment: a comparative research between Guangzhou, China and St Petersburg, Russia” Chinese National Natural Science Foundation 41871154, 1.01.2019-31.12.2022